Grand Member

Member Since Feb 2014
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 17, 2016 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
first so that I am understanding your post...

here in my location we have two different terms...

disassociation ( with an A between two s's, pronounced dis - association) which means to purposely stop doing something, purposely push away, purposely reject....today I disassociated while drinking my coffee in order to finish getting ready for work meaning I purposely decided to put my coffee down and go get ready for work.

dissociation (no A between two s's) which means feeling spaced out, numb, disconnected, a ....feeling of unreality but knowing what is real and what isnt,...

am I correct since you are posting this in the dissociation (no A between two s's) forum, you are talking about my locations second definition?

reason I make this distinction between the two definitions in my location is because some locations use the two terms inter change ably and both can be part of ones mental disorder diagnosis's but sometimes treated differently.

example when I am disassociating ( purposely pushing away, rejecting, ignoring and not doing things I am remembering) my therapist helps me to not be afraid and look at why I am disassociating.

where as when I am dissociating (feeling numb, spaced out, disconnected, no a between two s's) because I am remembering something, my therapist has me doing grounding and breathing exercises

now on to the other part of your post.... yes sometimes I do have memories that are so strong and emotionally charged that they feel like they are happening right now... my treatment providers call this having a flashback. its quite common for me to have this problem due to both my PTSD category diagnosis's and my dissociation disorders.

talking about future events and future events being real as if already happening no not in relation to my dissociation disorders but I have had that problem of distinguishing reality from what I planned on doing at a later date as being real at this moment due to medication problems. in me my treatment providers call this psychosis because of the diagnostic criteria they have to go by when diagnosing me, that states reality testing remains intact with dissociation problems.

that said there is a scientific (non mental disordered ) term in my location called Deja Vu. this means a person feels like what they are going through or remembering now is something they have gone through or remembered before, its like but a bit different than the paranormal version of having premonitions (another non mental disorder term) which is knowing whats going to happen in the future.

depending upon the situation my treatment providers called these in me normal or psychosis\ hallucinations\delusions.

my suggestion is if this continues to bother you contact your (or a) mental health treatment provider who can diagnose these problems and if needed get you treated for them.

Hi and thank you for your reply.

We are not talking about the same thing here. There are no Deja vue moments, no hallucinating. When the future comes it is how I experienced it. And the past is just as clear as the moment I am in right now. With sounds, smells, tactile and visual input still intact. The issue is delineation between all 3. And that issue only occurs when relating to others. Or communicating everts to others. Solo; by myself it is not an issue.
snarkydaddy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
amandalouise, leomama