View Single Post
Astridetal
Veteran Member
Astridetal has no updates.

10 yr Member
11 hugs
given
Default Oct 27, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Hi, I was just diagnosed with DPD (and BPD traits) today. Before that, my diagnosis was BPD, which I fought, but I think I hate the DPD label even more. I also have a developmental disability (used to be autism but now they're saying developmental disorder NOS). Anyway I've been in a mental institution for nine years. Of course, that could create dependenc in itself, but I'm feeling the kind of dependence they think is disordered is my resistance to try tasks that in my opinion I do not have the executive functioning (organizational skills) and/or fine motor skills for (I also have a mild motor disability and am blind). In other words, they're labeling me dependent because I can't/won't do some activities of daily living. I mean I don't want people dictating my every move, in that sense I'm not dependent at all. However, I do have limitations due to my multiple disabilities (dev disorder, motor disability, blindness, etc.). I feel this DPD label is just there so that people can push me beyond my limits and exercise control over what sort of independence should be important and what shouldn't.

I have a question though: what is the normal approach of treatment to people with DPD? Is it to decide for us when we ned to do stuff for ourselves, ie. focused on practical independence, or is it more focused on empowerment (making our own decisions)? If it's the latter, I wonder how a therapist or support worker, who is essentially in an authority position over us, can help us with it. If it's the former, no thanks, I don't want people telling me I should cook my own food when my husband can do this faster, more efficiently and more effortlessly. As long as I know how to operate the microwave if he's in bed with the flu, I should be fine.

"People are afraid of what they might find if they try to analyze themselves too much, but you have to crawl into the wound to discover what your fears are. Once the bleeding starts, the cleansing can begin." - Tori Amos

Current DX (December 2019): autism spectrum disorder, unspecified personality disorder
Current RX (December 2019): Abilify 30mg, Celexa 40mg, Ativan 1mg PRN
Astridetal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Hobbit House, Innerzone, Skeezyks