Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

8 yr Member
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Oct 28, 2016 at 03:47 PM

Hello Astridetal: I'm sorry I do not know the answer to your question really. But I saw no one had replied to your post so I thought I would. It's an interesting question. I guess what I can say is that I worked for many years with people who had developmental disabilities (as well as other types of disabilities.) So although I cannot speak with any authority to the question of what the normal approach is with regard to treatment for people with DPD, I believe I can speak to the question of teaching independent living skills & empowerment. (Of course, how these issues are viewed in the Netherlands may be different than they are in the U.S. where I am.)

It seems to me that the primary goal should be empowerment (making one's own decisions to the greatest extent possible.) And then secondarily the objective should be to teach the independent living skills needed in order to reach whatever goals one has decided upon... if that makes any sense. In other words, first you need to be empowered to establish the goals for the services you're going to receive. And once these goals have been set, then it can be decided what independent living skills need to be taught in order to make it possible for you to achieve your goals.

I do think it is possible for a therapist or support worker to help with this process. But it requires someone who has a "client-centered" approach. Someone who believes they know what you need better than you do will not be helpful, as you know. From my perspective, you're absolutely correct. Not everyone has to learn to cook. (There are lots of men in particular, who can't boil water!) As long as you can use the microwave, & you're comfortable with that, there's no reason for a therapist or support worker to try to force you to learn to cook. At least this is my perspective with regard to your post.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
gothicpear