Thread: Just diagnosed
View Single Post
Cyllya

Member Since Sep 2016
7 hugs
given
Default Nov 05, 2016 at 01:30 PM

I'm guessing they're going to go with the "empowerment" angle.

I don't have DPD, but I have ADHD (executive dysfunction), and I have actually tried to get therapy for the purpose of improving functionality and independent-living skills. However, it hasn't worked. From my experience, many mental health professionals just cannot wrap their brains around executive function problems. They act like they don't believe I have EF problems, even if they don't disagree with the ADHD diagnosis. If I say I have problems doing XYZ, or I haven't been able to do XYZ, or I'm doing a bad job at XYZ (because the whole reason I'm forking over money to this therapist is because I want to get better at stuff like XYZ!), they believe I'm perfectly capable of doing XYZ and I just mistakenly believe I can't do XYZ due to some kind of depression or self-esteem issue!

I actually have depression, but it's in remission due to meds. I'm pretty sure I'd be considered to have depression even if I didn't.

Now there have been some therapists that did believe and understand my issues... but they still couldn't help me gain better skills.
Cyllya is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote