View Single Post
Myzen
Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2004
PC PoohBah!
Default Dec 03, 2004 at 06:35 AM

Hi folks,

I have found anything on Buddhism to be more than a little helpful. Having read loads of self help stuff (usually when I'm in my own low phase) I wanted something that I could study 'on the level' so to speak, that would be relevant whatever condition I was in.

As I am vulnerable to 'scrupulosity' as discussed on another thread, and have had a close call with Catholicism, I have chosen the least doctrinaire branch of Buddhism that I could find.

The book I return to is 'Buddhism without Beliefs' by Stephen Batchelor. The paperback is easily available on Amazon and quite cheap.

A powerful message that comes over in this view of the world is that suffering (dhukka) applies to all living creatures, not just to those of us with diagnoses of specific illness. By tying in my study of this branch of zen with a meditation group that is non denominational, I have a path which is looking hopeful.

I feel that any sort of mental illness is isolating and painfully self focussing, and this practice helps to break that pattern.

Cheers, Myzen.
Myzen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
adlucem, pondbc, RainyDay107, SickOfSadness