Thread: The Avoidance
View Single Post
sumowira
Account Suspended

Member Since Mar 2016
Default Jan 03, 2017 at 02:03 AM

I'm wondering, since you're saying over and over again that your issue is anxiety, if you've tried medications to control it? Even if you have a diagnosis of AvPD it's worth giving it a shot, because you could have both an anxiety disorder, which is treatable, and AvPD, which is not. If you could drop your menacing feelings by half, that would be a great relief.

Mind reading is a classic AvPD behavior. So is thinking in terms of the worst case scenario. It's reassuring because if you can handle the worst possible thing, then you know whatever happens you can handle it. But it can be completely paralyzing too.

The way to get around that is kind of like mindfulness. It's basically monitoring your thoughts and realizing when you're having an "avoidant" thought. You might not be able to completely neutralize it, but if you can recognize it's not an "authentic" thought you can give yourself a little distance from it and it won't completely overpower you.

Also, try not to think so black and white about it. It will sound insane, but AvPD is not all bad. And a lot of times being alone is better than being with people who drag you down. I wish I knew how to explain it, and I wish I did a better job of it myself, but try to give yourself permission to give yourself a break. The self-criticism instinct goes very deep, so you really have to dig down to try to curb it.

As far as not having experiences, you have to get really choosy. You can't do everything, so you have to pick what means the most to you and make the effort to do those things. The status quo doesn't apply to avoidants. All those things you're "supposed" to do - ignore them. Even the things you want to do, set them aside. Do what you can do in the way you can do it (online classes maybe?) and learn what works for you so you can build on those techniques in the future and do more of the things you want to do.

I'm not sure if I've made any sense. But especially the idea of an avoidant thought vs a genuine thought, which I'm sure I garbled, that's a huge piece to it. Hopefully someone else can explain it better so it's actually helpful.
sumowira is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Onward2wards