OliverB is a pill

8 yr Member
589 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 19, 2017 at 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimes psychotic View Post
So here is the deal, I have psychosis supposedly from bipolar----I'm fully recovered except for the fact that I have to take half a pill of abilify every night. I tried a med free trial after 2 years psychosis free but within 9 months I became symptomatic again. Meds are now part of my recovery instead of something I need to get off of. I have a PhD, I've been constantly working since the psychosis---I took a week in the hospital and then a weeks vacation to get my head straight. Even though my psychosis is intermittent it took a few years of therapy to feel comfortable again....to have friends and a boyfriend that I love. I had an experimental (in the US) program called CBT for psychosis. I take a very low dose of abilify 7.5 mg. It can happen just know that while it will not happen for everyone it does happen.
I am glad you have achived to be functioning, without psychosis and without too much medication side effects, somtimes they can be as devasting as the own disorder (I don't know if you actually get any because it's a low dose). The ideal is to be on the lowest AP dose as possible, and yeah, 7.5mg is really low, It's a good new you have achieved so much and it gives hope to other people

Was the CBT program specially heplful or wasn't it? I still see as important (in my case) to be med free in the future, but I understand that from your experience being on a low dose it's perfect instead of trying again to go off of it. I see CBT, art therapy and similar as a way to reduce (or even completely quit) medication, but it depends on each case

One of my objetives is achive what you have! A PhD, social life and work! I am working hard to get it

Meds: bye bye meds
CPTSD and some sort of depression and weird perceptions

"Outwardly: dumbly, I shamble about, a thing that could never have been known as human, a
thing whose shape is so alien a travesty that humanity becomes more obscene for the vague resemblance."
I have no mouth and I must scream -Harlan Ellison-
OliverB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Sometimes psychotic