Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

8 yr Member
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Jan 19, 2017 at 03:05 PM

Hotice: I don't know how you can be sure you have PPD. Personally, I'm not sure it's even possible to determine this absolutely. The fact is, from my perspective at least, that even mental health professionals often don't agree on a given person's diagnosis. You go to one professional & that person will say you have this. You go to someone else & they'll say... oh no... you have that. My opinion is that mental health diagnosis, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Every mental health professional I've ever seen has had a little different perspective with regard to what is going on with me.

Many years ago, I took a psychology class in college where the professor said that mental illnesses are simply more extreme examples of behaviors we all exhibit every day. For example, we all wash our hands several times a day. But if a person washes her / his hands so much that they become red & begin to peel, then that person might be diagnosed as having OCD. Does that make sense? From that perspective, it's a matter of degrees. So, in your case, yes... perhaps you have some behaviors that are similar to those exhibited by people who are considered to have PPD. Does that mean you have PPD? Well that is a determination that has to be made by a mental health professional, if you choose to pursue mental health treatment. The fact is... if you're living your life reasonably successfully & are comfortable with yourself... "in your own skin"... as the saying goes... then does it really matter what some mental health professional thinks? In the end, it's just that particular professional's opinion. I wish you well...
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote