Grand Magnate

Fizzyo has no updates.

8 yr Member
3,980 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 05, 2017 at 03:31 PM

Hi DazedAndConfused123,

Sorry to hear you have struggled for so long. I agree, it's easier to cope with low mood.
You are right to question other causes for low mood.

Many health problems can cause symptoms similar to depression so it's always worth having a medical checkup and screen to rule this out.

Also when we have lived with depression for a while, we may develop habitual ways of thinking or behaviour which helps low mood continue. This is where the principles of CBT can help.

You may wish to check out this website, I found it helpful, if not the complete answer it gives a free six week programme you can follow in your own time, designed and used for the Australian health services but anyone can do it. It's primarily designed for college age people, but I found it useful and I was nearly in my 40s. (I don't know your age)
https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

Also, boredom can trigger feelings of lethargy and pointlessness similar to depression symptoms so you may find it helpful to structure your life to keep moderately busy with a toolkit of activities for when you need to relax a bit (eg music, movies, puzzles, craft.... Even relaxation or mindfulness video links from utube or similar kept handy to help recharge the batteries)

If you're out of work or have more free time than you want, consider volunteering or join an interest group, it helps to meet people and feel you're contributing to others.

I'm not able to work, but I volunteer two hours a week and it really helps me feel my life has more purpose.

Just a few thoughts for you to pick and mix as you see fit.
Best of luck as you work towards more resilient mental health and quality of life.

Thanks for this!
*Laurie*, Sassandclass