View Single Post
stopchewinggum
stopchewinggum At long last, there is nothing and no one, except me and the abyss

8 yr Member
12 hugs
given
Default Feb 25, 2017 at 06:01 AM

I have schizophrenia, and they were very hesitant to diagnosis me also with SPD. Still, they did. My thing is that the whether or not something is a "disorder" is supposed to based on whether or not it affects function. I've done a lot of work into faking being a "social person." People with social anxiety have anxiety. I do not. People on the autism spectrum have their own issue. They literally have issues being able to perform basic social skills. I do not. I'm considered really eccentric. I admit, but it's not because I don't know how or can't act "normal." I just don't care. I follow social "rules" to get what I want out of given situation. I'm not a sociopath. I don't play mind games with people. (I don't enjoy that.) Being actually diagnosed with SPD isn't exactly like being an introvert. Basically, you don't need people to fulfill you. This doesn't mean your shy either. I am very assertive. I can sell sand to someone who lives in the Sahara, and it doesn't make me nervous. Still, you could be trapped in a room for a year. You might get bored. You might go mad, but it's not because you are craving social interaction. You just don't REQUIRE human interaction. The problem with listing SPD as a disorder is that people, who formally meet the requirements, aren't suffering. The people that are suffering are family and "friends."
stopchewinggum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote