View Single Post
Bridgeto

Member Since Apr 2017
Default Apr 09, 2017 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingPace View Post
I was searching the internet this morning for anything new on Depression. Through my tears I saw a lead for a comment on adderall being used to treat treatment resistant Depression. Funny but it eventually circled back to this site.
My faithful psychiatrist of many years eventually prescribed adderall for me as nothing else seemed to work - at least not very well.
I have been taking adderall for over 15 years with absolutely NO ill side effects and it is a wonder drug.
The BIGGEST problem is the reaction I have gotten from persons who , though having no expertise in psychiatric illness, have looked askance, eyed me with suspicion, outrightly accused me of being a drug addict, my employer ignoring the medical reasons for anyone being on adderall for any reason, etc etc ad nauseum. I no longer work as the depression has taken such a toll I can no longer do it.
That being said, I found that adderall is prescribed, and is effective, even though it is an "off label" treatment. I think that if a drug that is legal and is legally prescribed and is EFFECTIVE it should be used without the world having fits about it. In all these years I have not increased the dosage I take, I have not built up a resistance, in fact I would rather not take it- but it is (so far) the only thing that has really helped.
I am not advocating the use of amphetamine for all cases of Depression, however the anti drug hysteria in this country has caused enough grief for those of us who suffer with mental challenges already staggering with the burden of this disease. The best thing is now I know I am not alone.
I was just prescribed Adderall because none of the antidepressants work for me but I'm afraid to take it. It's sitting here but I heard to many horror stories. I've read about to many lives that were ruined taking it. Even if you only take the recommended dose I heard it effects your brain and changes you. Also your relationships everything. Please tell me more about this. I hate feeling lower than a snakes belly but there has to be something for me. Help

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
mccarrolmike, MickeyCheeky