shakespeare47
Grand Magnate

shakespeare47 has no updates.

8 yr Member
437 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 30, 2017 at 01:34 PM

Another funny way to comfort myself goes along these lines (I've become interested in philosophy over the last few years).

In philosophy there is a concept known as possible worlds.
It's used in modal logic.
David Lewis went a step further and suggested that possible worlds might actually exist. (Even physicists have hypothesized about the multiverse).

In theory, when an agent (a person) makes a choice, our universe becomes split into many more universes, each of them containing a different "me" who makes a specific different choice. (like I want to go to college... in each world, a different me attends a different college).
Lewis made this argument (at least according to a friend of mine who is a philosophy professor): if there are many "me's" out there, then perhaps, if I am a moral person, I ought to sometimes do things which cause me pain, knowing that if I'm performing the action that causes pain, then the other me's are not experiencing that pain (because in those other worlds they would be doing something else).

Last edited by shakespeare47; Jun 30, 2017 at 01:46 PM..
shakespeare47 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
katydid777

Thanks for this!
Atypical_Disaster