peaches100
Grand Magnate

peaches100 has no updates.

15 yr Member
5 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 03, 2017 at 08:25 AM

One medical condition that can lead to depression is a vitamin B12 deficiency. Basically, B12 is necessary for the body to produce red blood cells, which carry oxygen throughout the body, including the brain. Some people, though, are unable to digest and absorb vitamin B12 because their immune system attacks a substance that occurs normally in the digestive tract. This substance (forget what it is called) is necessary to break down the vitamin B12 into a form that the body can absorb and use. Without enough B12 in the body, it cannot make enough red blood cells to carry oxygen through the body. This can cause medical conditions, including depression and other neurocognitive problems.

I found out recently from a routine blood test during my annual exam that I have a vitamin B12 deficiency. Although I have several other factors that already contribute to my having depression and anxiety, the low B12 and resulting low numbers of red blood cells could definitely be making it worse.
The doctor has me on super high levels of B12 now and says I may need to take it (or B12 injections) for life.
peaches100 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
phoenix7, Sassandclass