View Single Post
meerkat64

Member Since Oct 2017
Default Oct 29, 2017 at 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
Hello meerkat: I'm sorry you & your gf are having such a difficult time. From what you wrote, it sounds as though you both are struggling mightily under the weight of your mother's behavior. It's so unfortunate that you tried calling the suicide prevention line & were left hanging on-hold until you finally gave up.

I can't tell you what's going on with your mom, of course. That's something that would need to be determined by a mental health professional. And it doesn't sound like there's any chance your mom is going to seek professional mental health services for herself. So the reality of your situation may well be that things just are not going to change much in the foreseeable future.

You mentioned both you & your gf will be going to college soon. I don't recall you mentioning if either or both of you plan to live at home or if you'll be living at school. I recall, many years ago, I lived at home for the first couple of years I was in college. I then moved into a dorm at school & for me it was a breath of fresh air. The reality here may be that you & your gf are simply going to have to tough this situation out until you can get away from your parents' home.

Some couples counseling might be beneficial for the two of you if you could arrange it. But, of course, there would have to be some way to pay for it. I presume your parents would not. If your gf's parents are financially well-off, might they consider doing so? Of course where you live also makes a big difference. If you live in a metropolitan area there are likely to be a wider variety of services available. In a more metropolitan area, you might be able to locate some counseling services that are geared toward teens. If your area is more rural, your options are going to be significantly more limited.

I wish I had some more specific suggestions to offer you. There are other hotlines you might consider trying. Here's a link to PsychCentral's hotline list:

https://psychcentral.com/lib/common-...phone-numbers/

And then continuing to post, here on PC, can help too. I wish you both the best.
It is an extremely difficult struggle and I am starting to notice the actual irritation and annoyance in my moms eyes everything my gf gets brought up. It is like her existence angers her and its very upsetting considering this girl and I would love to be long term if possible but if things do end up working out later on in life and we get married several years from now then I don't want her to be miserable when my mom is around or anything. I also would strongly much rather prefer to not be close enough to live at home or even be able to take a day trip because I'm sure they will show up unannounced and create a whole other realm of issues. Hopefully we will be away from them sooner than later. There are counseling services in my area but the downside is that it both looks bad for a teenage couple to be attending relationship counseling and my parents barely let me out of the house as it is so I'm sure they certainly wouldn't want me to try to help a relationship they do not like. Besides neither of us have the spare funds anyway and around here it gets expensive very quickly and with college coming up for their daughter, they may not have the funds to spare. We have considered school counseling but don't see it as beneficial. School counselors where I live are rarely actually used for counseling students and more for college questions and such, which is very unfortunate but it is the way it is I guess. We may still go. Not 100% sure.
meerkat64 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote