Thread: Hollywood
View Single Post
Anonymous50025

Default Nov 22, 2017 at 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter loneliness View Post
Was wondering what everyone thought about Hollywood, and other men in power, and the allegations off sexual assault?

This has been an unspoken situation in Hollywood forever. Jokes about casting directors and sleeping with someone for a part.

I am glad they are coming forward. I am sure many felt this was an insurmountable problem. And no one would care.

Ask any woman and many men, to tell a story about pushy, unwanted advances and touching. Every woman I know has faced it at one time or another.

Open dialogue if anyone, man or woman, wants to comment.
Oh, now this has become an interesting subject as more and more people are choosing this time to come forward in a chorus line to tell tales of men (deceivers ever, Shakespeare wrote) and their grotesque and piggish ways.

As a big Tarantino fan, I was aware of Harvey Weinstein. What I still do not understand is why his friends and partners let him get away with predatory behaviour for so long. Weinstein denies the stories. Franken and Rose do not. Roy Moore denies the stories. No one cares about Trump although he reeks of bacon among the porcine crowd. And, yes, it’s time to bring President Clinton back into the national discussion. And Spacey? He broke my heart.

Yeah, I’m having difficulty getting my head around Spacey’s reported lifetime of predatory behaviour. He was, one minute, amongst the finest actors of my generation and, the next minute, he has no future as an actor - and maybe that is fair and right - and I guess that I can’t watch Suspects again? Or not in the same way? Does he return his Oscars? He tweets an apology, of sorts, and then a “BTW, I’m gay,” as if it were a secret.

Charlie Rose? He’s toast. I haven’t checked on the Franken situation, today.

I am delighted that the transgressed are coming forward but I am afraid to find out ‘who’s next.’

Franken and the groping photo. I’m certain that it was intended to be funny. The woman is wearing a flak jacket and he does not have his hands upon the jacket, just poised for a grope. I think that it is overreaction to find that photo predatory. There is a joke there - “men continue loutish fascination with women’s breasts even when they’re bulletproof.”

Yes, the casting couch is real, we know for certain, now. And, Christ, I’ve always known that many (other) men (none amongst my friends) were predatory beasts.

I sorta ‘groped’ once and it made me feel ill. I was 15, she 14, and we were at this weekend CYO function. Prettiest little red-headed girl with perfect white skin. We had been making out for two hours or so and had both taken liberties with one another without asking. But I, the foolish rake, put my hand down the front of her pants to feel her sex. She did this cool and enchanted move away from me, laughed, and ran to find her sister.

I felt shame. I felt stupid. Why did I think that we were ready for genital touching? I apologised and that was that. My career as a predatory groper came and went.

That’s my comment and confession.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Patagonia