View Single Post
nana_

Member Since Jun 2016
12 hugs
given
Default Dec 07, 2017 at 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
I'm sorry I can't really give you anything in the way of definitive advice on this. I took clonazepam for a short time when I was in the midst of a severe increase in the level of my tinnitus. I don't recall how long I was on it. But it wasn't a long time. I don't recall having any issues at all with going off of it. But I've also gone off various other psych med's in the past... sometimes with my doctor's support... sometimes not... I do seem to be a person who is able to go off of psych med's without experiencing any particularly difficult effects. I'm no longer on anything at all.

Anxiety is something I've struggled with... more so lately. The things that are helpful for me are keeping busy, maintaining a more-or-less daily yoga / exercise program, & taking our dog out on his daily walks. Also, when I listen to music, it's quiet & soothing. I don't watch the news on TV & I avoid watching violent TV programs, movies, etc. I also typically try to make sure I'm off of my laptop by 8 pm. I've read that the light from computers & smart phones tricks the brain into thinking it's daytime thus making it more difficult to get to sleep.

My personal opinion is we don't realize how much damage we in advertently do to ourselves when we expose ourselves to all of the noise & violence that constitutes what most of the media consists of nowadays. A while back I watched a series of programs on our local public television station titled "The Brain with David Eagleman". Eagleman is a neuroscientist. And in one of the programs in the series, Eagleman mentions that when we watch a violent scene on TV or in a movie, for example, while consciously we may understand it is fiction, non-conscious areas of our brains, to which we have no conscious access, react as if the violence were actually happening. To me, at least, the implications of that are clear. Anyway... these are my thoughts with regard to your post.
Thank you for such a insightful reply! I think what you said about violence in media is very true, especially for people who are highly empathetic (like me!) I feel, for me at least, this also applies to other things in media besides violence. It’s not something I’ve really thought of, but I have noticed that I do get very emotional and have intense reactions to things in movies, shows, books, etc.

I also love the mention of having a routine. Something I valued back in high school, despite how overworked I was, was having a routine. I’m going to be working on getting a routine going, especially now that I got a job with regular hours.

I know you said you can’t give definitive advice, but I feel like the insight in your reply was something I very much needed now at this point in my life and i appreciate it! truly, what you said (especially about violence in media! i’m definitely going to look up David Eagleman and do a little research!) really resonated with.
nana_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote