View Single Post
Silent Blatherskite

Member Since Oct 2017
2 hugs
given
Default Dec 19, 2017 at 06:05 PM

Oh man, I can relate to this. I've always been extremely antisocial, introverted, depressed, and never considered myself to be a people person. But it seemed like everyone had high praises for me whenever I was working customer service (boss, fellow employees and customers themselves.) The only reason I pursued engineering is because I wanted to be in a field AWAY from customers, lol. Apparently, my mixture of mellowness and straight-to-the-point nature puts a lot of people at ease. In reality, I'm (successfully) trying to divert their attention away from me and towards the task at hand or their own personal life.

I guess it's just because I listen more than I talk. Before engineering, I looked into Communications just to figure out how to talk to people because I was just that introverted. I didn't like people growing up, so I thought that if I just learned how to talk more, I could meet better people. But everyone seems to agree, the ironic key to good communication is better listening skills.

So unless there is a goal in mind or someone else starts the engagement, I don't want to break the ice. Maybe I'm too judgemental, too shy, don't know what to say, or I just want to keep the nice silence. I've gotten over some of my anxiety around people as I slowly realized just how much people don't notice or care about anything but themselves. (Not saying everyone is narcissistic, but that we all live in our own bubble of a brain and it's difficult to interact outside of it, ie everyone is their own island) But I still don't like engaging with people on the off chance that I have to talk about my own personal life and bad situation .
Silent Blatherskite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
mote.of.soul