View Single Post
Talthybius
Veteran Member

Member Since Mar 2016
Default Jan 19, 2018 at 08:27 PM

I went back at age 29. I am almost 34 now, and need to do 1.5 more years. Then PhD.

I feel I missed my first childhood. Almost no partying or hanging out with friends, doing fun stuff. I am a shallow sleeper and I like to sleep in the cold so I open my window always. Every second evening I sleep shallow so that I wake up at least once because students are cycling past my apartment after they returned from a party. They are so happy, or drunk, or it is a guy and a girl having a nice evening. I am usually alone, as I don't like strangers and I like to keep most people strangers and people don't go out of their way to become friends with me. So at those moments it hits me the most.

I had tons of motivation to study, as this was my final chance at life. I couldn't work a ordinary day job, ever. But student life going past me keeps annoying me. I am like basically only studying. So if this keeps up, in 6 years I will have done a PhD, just finishing up a postdoc of 2 years in some country I never would want to live in permanently. And then I will be returning to my own country, no permanent job, entering industry at age 43, all shallow friendships I did have watered down by two years of time. What then?

I do feel that on a daily basis, I forget how much older I am than my fellow students. And they don't always realize how old I am. I don't know how it feels for them, because if you are 21, 13 years is a lot. I feel they also kind of forget, most of the time.

But then again, there's more things strange about me than just my age.
Talthybius is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
avlady, LadyShadow, Medusax

Thanks for this!
LadyShadow