Legendary

Member Since May 2010
600 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jan 27, 2018 at 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadfish View Post
Also, right now I accept that she's always late because I know she runs over with just about all clients. If she were a smoker, I'd probably feel resentful and think she's late because she was having a cigarette.
I might also be afraid of them resenting me for getting between them and their cigarette if I run over, ask them to call me etc.

And would they be paying their full attention to me, or thinking about their next cigarette? Maybe even trying to finish the session two minutes early?

I mean, my pdoc and I have appointments of an hour. We often speak for about 45 minutes (and sometimes for up to 75, if there's a lot to talk about and he has time). If there's nothing left to talk about, we finish up. I leave as satisfied then as when we take the full 60 minutes, or when we go over time. If we finish early and he went for a smoke or I considered he might, I might wonder if finishing up early was on purpose. Did he rush the session in the hopes that ..? Did he maybe not pay attention to something I said-did-showed because ..?

I'm not sure if I would actually think that, but I might. If I feel someone considers me a bother, I'll try not to be bothersome - often at my own expense.

I smoke, and I have never rushed a meeting or phone call or paid half attention because I had cigarettes on the brain.

I can’t imagine that people actually think and behave that way. I certainly don’t, and don’t know anyone who does...

Seems a bit extreme to me TBH

Like I can imagine a heroin addict fixated on their next hit (I work at a rehab) but somehow I find it hard to believe cigarette smokers in that same boat...

Just my two cents...

DXD BP1, BPD & OCPD

"The best way to make it through with hearts and wrists in tact, is to realise, two out of three aint bad" FOB...

Thanks for this!
Anonymous45127, stopdog