View Single Post
Shihoin

Member Since Dec 2017
Default Jan 29, 2018 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous50025 View Post
@winter loneliness writes of having low self-esteem about her body and I wonder if she had grown up in a nudist family if she would feel the same? I’ve never had the six-pack muscles but I considered my body to be a kind of regular body with gifts. I have heard so many excuses that people make for even, for instance, not removing a shirt or blouse because they feel that they will not measure up to others. Resorts, particularly inland areas, make others impervious to body-shaming. Sexual beach resorts? Jamaica? Tricky. Again, semi-secluded spots but you’re generally on show. You really need to think in a body-positive way.

Yes. Let’s talk of nudism.
I'll talk about my ex for a minute, because she's a good example of overcoming body-shame.
Like many other women, she had a good deal of negative self-image. She felt she didn't look good enough to be naked in front of other people; and that other people would judge her by her looks . Not only that but she also feared she would be sexually objectified.
I still managed to convince her to accompany me to a resort. Which was a safe environment. And she did go nude; but only when it was just the two of us, outside the more populated areas. Otherwise, she'd stay somewhat covered. And she would definitely cover up if someone tried to chat with us. She just couldn't bring herself to fully participating in social nudity.

After a couple of resort trips I managed to convince her to go to a club get-together, which was a non-landed function at someone's home. She initially did not want to go; but eventually agreed, stipulating that she would stay covered. When we got there, there was a good number of women socializing in a group. They were very friendly and invited my wife to hang out with them. She reluctantly agreed, fully wrapped in her sarong while all the other women were nude.
After spending some time with these women, many of which were older, she saw how comfortable they were with their nudity. They seemed to not have the body-shame or concerns she experienced, which alleviated her anxiety. And so she decided to take off her sarong and join them. And as the day went on she also decided to not cover up again, choosing to face her fears about other people seeing her naked.

That experience profoundly changed her self-image. The change was gradual at first, as we returned to nudist venues and she showed less embarrassment at disrobing. Until she started participating in nudist activities, and became more and more comfortable being nude in front of other people. As she became an active social nudist, her hesitation at being openly nude dwindled to nothing. It had taken some time, patience and perseverance; but she eventually became a full-fledged nudist, embracing social nudity without any hang-ups or hesitations.

Just like nudism is not a perfect "cure" to depression, it is also not a cure to negative body-image. It takes work and commitment. Meeting other people and being able to interact with them nude is a huge step in that direction.
Shihoin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
amicus_curiae