View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Feb 13, 2018 at 04:21 PM

Hello User25: I'm sorry I don't think there is much I could offer in the way of specific suggestions here other than to talk with your parents about these things & see if there are some ways to work around these problems. It really isn't your responsibility to put up with this.

For one thing, perhaps you just need to be able to lock the door to your room so your uncle can't just go in & rummage through your belongings. Your uncle may very well be a nice guy. But that's no excuse for inappropriate behavior on his part. I wonder if perhaps too your uncle might be eligible for some in-home services since he has a learning disability & is apparently receiving some sort of rehab services.

I obviously don't know much of anything with regard to your uncle's situation. So I can only speak in broad generalities here. But the other thing that occurs to me is that I wonder if any thought is being given to where your uncle will live if your grandma passes away or has to go to a nursing home. Is it being assumed he will continue to live with your parents for the rest of his life?

I'm an older person myself. But for many years I worked with people who have developmental disabilities. And one of the things I saw repeatedly, over the years, was situations where there was no effort put into planning for where a person with a d.d. was going to live once the parent(s) could no longer care for the person. Then, suddenly, the parent dies, or is otherwise incapacitated, & whoever is responsible at that point starts rushing around trying to figure out where the person can go.

It's much better if there can be some pre-planning so that this sort of crisis doesn't occur. So, since your uncle is receiving some sort of rehab services, perhaps some effort to work, with whatever rehab professionals he has in his life, would be worthwhile in an effort to plan for his future. And this could perhaps be tied in with some services aimed at helping him to fit into your home now. I know that doesn't solve your immediate concerns. But it might be beneficial for your uncle in the long run... just a few things to consider. It's no doubt difficult for you since it's really your parents who are responsible here. And it does make a difference where in the U.S. you live. Where I live there are quite a lot of services available for people who have developmental disabilities. But that isn't necessarily the case everywhere.

I believe this is your first post here on PC. So... welcome to PsychCentral! I hope you find the time you spend here to be of benefit. May I suggest you introduce yourself over on PC's New Member Introductions forum? Here's a link:

https://forums.psychcentral.com/new-...introductions/

There's a lot of support that can be available here on PC. The more you post, & reply to other members' posts, the more a part of the community you will become. Plus there are the chat rooms where you'll be able to interact with other PC members in real time (once your first 5 posts have been reviewed & approved.) So please keep posting!

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote