View Single Post
PyschCentral_User25

Member Since Feb 2018
3 hugs
given
Default Feb 28, 2018 at 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopingtrying View Post
Back when I went to school in the 70s and 80s, all the standardized tests except the writing test were multiple choice where your score was based on whether or not you picked the correct answer (a, b, c, or d). Nowadays, many of the math achievement tests state school districts are adopting are somewhat based on what I call the "new math". In the "new math" teaching methods, process is considered just as important as getting the right answer so in many math achievement tests (when they are in essay form) a child who figures out the right answer but does not show the work or shows work that doesn't show how they got the answer does not receive full credit for the problem. In many math essay tests it is important to be able to put on the paper the process in your mind you went through to achieve your answer. There are tests out there (I do not know if your district is like this nor would I ever speak about a specific test) where a child who gets the wrong answer but shows a legitimate process gets as much credit for their answer as the child who gets the right answer. Usually teachers in your school are aware of what their states achievement tests are looking for so if their state emphasizes "new math", they should be teaching it (requiring that kids always show their work and grading that too). In the case of college achievement tests, there are many books that let you know what the tests are emphasizing at the public library--it is good to be aware of what tests you are taking are looking for. As a former teacher, I have seen many children give up during achievement tests--many students do not score as high as they might otherwise have done because they do not use the entire time that has been allotted to them to show what they are capable of (rushing through it, feeling so negative about their chances that they refuse to try). Feeling positive about your chances is an important factor in how well you do.
Thank you for replying back to me. Yeah -- I guess that's true as well. I won't have any standardized assessments this year, nor probably next year either, but I was just wondering. I highly dislike standardized assessments. But I do agree with the fact that I often feel to discouraged when I take those tests. I'll try to keep in mind your opinions and suggestions for future reference for when I do take another "formal" test.

Thank you again.
PyschCentral_User25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous57777