Thread: Homophobia
View Single Post
Entity06

Entity06 has no updates.

5 yr Member
14 hugs
given
Default Mar 06, 2018 at 11:12 AM

I'm gender queer/non-binary(with a presentation that makes it obvious to others cause it's opposite than expected for my assigned gender)and I'm bisexual. My sexuality hasn't been an issue because I happen to more often be attracted to men than women, men never like me cause I'm so unfeminine(which hurts) and the women I was attracted to weren't queer in the first place. But my gender expression has obviously subjected me to plenty of bad looks, stupid questions and attempts to put some sense into me and dress like a woman is supposed to and act like a woman.

In Romania being non-conforming in any way(apart from like a hipster-ish thing) isn't a thing that is normalized and it's a much more conservative, homophobic, transphobic society compared to western Europe. I'm comfortable with myself when I go abroad but not here.

My own mother is homophobic and transphobic without realising it. She's pro gay marriage and rights and has no problem with gay people being together but at the same time she says she finds intimacy between gay people off putting and she'd have been disappointed if I was gay. And she's downright transphobic cause she doesn't understand it and always resisted looking into gender identity and how it's not actually a binary. She never forced anything upon me but at the same time she doesn't understand why I don't just conform a little to be happy and attractive and "normal" .

All in all, of course, the degrees to which homophobia and transphobia manifest in most of Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand, etc are more tame compared to parts of Asia, Africa, Middle East,etc, but everything from words to action to subtle discrimination and such has an impact on the emotional/mental and/or physical wellbeing and comfort of people who aren't cis and straight.
Entity06 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Anonymous45127