wolfgaze has no updates.

8 yr Member
215 hugs
given
Default Mar 06, 2018 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
What HELPS you the most?
I do not have a history of experiencing an eating disorder...

However, I had a long history of being consciously identified with my physical body - and there was something I didn't like about my appearance that could not be changed/altered, and my fixation on this perceived 'flaw' resulted in years and years of self-rejection and crushed my sense of self-worth... It resulted in a lot of suffering...

My solution and eventual liberation was not found in learning to love/accept my physical body - it was found only through cultivating the awareness that "I am not my body".... I had to consciously discover that I had a nature/identity/sense of self that transcended the physical form/body. It took a lot of inner work, and it took time - but once this awareness was sufficiently cultivated/established within me, my suffering became a thing in the past, and this issue no longer has any influence in my life.

So while I haven't experienced an eating disorder per se - I have experienced a fixation with my physical appearance which resulted in a lot of pain and suffering. So my advice to individuals who are experiencing eating disorders is to work on expanding your state of Awareness until you eventually arrive at the life-altering realization that you are NOT that temporary physical vessel that you see when you look in the mirror. Whether a person's body is in 'perfect' shape, or a person's body is in terrible shape - that is not who you/they are... The physical body is like a rental car - you only get to use it for a limited period of time, then you have to give it back and part ways with it. So there's no sense in maintaining this rigid attachment to it - and no sense in seeking our 'sense of self' in it...

Something which really helped me was exploring the phenomenon of Near-Death Experiences and most importantly - spending time contemplating the implications of these accounts & experiences. This was a significant driving force behind my expanding my state of awareness and eventually breaking my conscious identification with my body as a source of identity. This is not an overnight change - but something you need to work at over an extended duration... The results will be there - as long as you stay committed to seeking out a greater understanding of who/what you really are... The process of Self-Discovery (Self-Realization) will eventually transform your entire life!

Hugs from:
LucyD, sinking

Thanks for this!
eskielover, mwaxy, sinking