View Single Post
Anonymous59893

Default Mar 09, 2018 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_little_didgee View Post
I'm a INTJ female diagnosed with ASD. I know this has contributed to my awful experiences with psychiatry during my teen years and later on with psychotic illness.

I'm not the most expressive person. I think this trait has given doctors the impression that I have no feelings whatsoever or that I am arrogant and self-centered. I think this contributed to the misdiagnosis, along with the anger I had from being bullied for years and my difficulties navigating friendships. Also
my obsession with diagnoses really irritated some doctors, which they misinterpreted as me being combative and resistant. I was once referred to as a pain in the ***. I'm certain they also used this to justify their clinical impressions and disrespect towards me.

My anxious disposition and tendency to fret over a single topic for years can produce a lot of stress, sleep deprivation and emotional exhaustion, which can cause psychotic symptoms to surface. Apparently ASD makes me susceptible to psychotic illness.

I found the ASD diagnosis healed a lot of my emotional wounds, because it accurately described my experiences and psychiatric history. Meeting others like me has also helped tremendously.

I like my INTJ traits. It is who I am. Embracing myself has helped my mental health a lot as well.

Thanks for your input, Didgee. I think that it's awful how you were treated by psychiatry. They seem to be horrible to anyone who they can't fit neatly into their boxes. I can't believe that they called you a PITA! That's so unprofessional!!

Sometimes I have been accused of being "cold" and "aloof", and even "stuck up" because my reserve was misinterpreted. Rehab called me "stuck up" and they also called my a "show off". I tried so hard to get them to see me, but they just couldn't.

I'm glad that you like who you are. I think your ASD diagnosis and then finding your clockmaking and machining passion probably helped with that. I like who I am too. But sometimes it is frustrating when other people don't seem to be able to 'get' me, no matter how hard I try. I know that's their issue and I wouldn't change me to make myself easier to understand, but it's frustrating nonetheless.

*Willow*
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote