Legendary

Member Since Mar 2009
9,983 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 13, 2018 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonesomeTonight View Post
I'll go first. So lately, I've noticed that individual T and I seem to be chatting more. I've been seeing him about 6 months, lately twice a week. In the beginning, it was pretty much strictly therapy stuff. Today, for example (in a 60-minute session), we spent a few minutes each talking about the March Madness college basketball bracket (I initiated that conversation) and how therapists and cops are portrayed on TV shows. I feel like it helps build rapport. And we end up going back to the main therapy topic (he'll apologize for getting off-topic, and I'll say it was just as much me, for example, or I'll just be like, "So as I was saying about X...") So I don't think it detracts too much from the actual therapy. Today, for example, there was a lot of good work done.

It's also not really self-disclosure kind of stuff from T (not like my marriage counselor sharing stories about his kids, other relatives, friends, etc.). Which brings its own sort of issues. (T doesn't talk about his elementary-school aged son at all.) But...is this a common thing? And at what point do things become too familiar/relaxed/friend-like?

Edited to add: Or perhaps I'll go second
When we talk about painting a little bit, I feel funny because I want to know about HER paintings. I've seen them and there's one hanging in the office too. I think it's nice that you can chat with T like that. I don't think your T is going to make it be friend-like, but you're like me so I think YOU may read more into it and dwell on the possible friendship aspect. I'm not saying you will, but it seems to be another manifestation of the attachment issue. I'm not criticizing, just pointing it out because that's how my mind would work.
rainbow8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight