Member Since Apr 2014
1,262 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 15, 2018 at 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key tones View Post
My T calls DBT “just CBT on steroids.” I don’t agree

I went to a NAMI group last night, and the leader talked about DBT being a lot better because it teaches radical acceptance, distress tolerance, and more mindfulness. Someone else chimed in and said it also gives homework and that it is a lot t of work, whereas CBT is more talking with a therapist.

My T gives me deep breathing exercises and to practice replacing a negative thought with a positive one. On my difficulties looking at certain people, to look at their foreheads instead.

There have been other suggestions, but mostly she is asking me how I’m doing and she empathizes.

On my spending all my time on the internet to avoid anxiety, she says that is OK it is a coping skill.

On me sleeping in the recliner, same thing, it is a coping skill.

On me talking about stressful work situations, she tells me this is about my childhood, and that’s too upsetting. It throws me off track. It doesn’t help. I don’t want to talk, have today tied to past trauma, and receive empathy. It isn’t helping; I’m getting worse.

I’ve read about CBT; she isn’t helping me reframe the traumas. I don’t know how to do that.

I want to break spending so much time on the internet, and I want to sleep in my bed. I want to be OK to live life with less fear and anxiety.

I do have a new therapist I’m going to try at the end of this month.
Um, there's a lot more to CBT than what your T is doing. I have had huge progress with CBT. You can get workbooks for CBT that will help you as much as the T will, IMO. I have tried DBT but didn't like it as much as CBT. I think sometimes which works better kind of matters on your personality.

That said, if you want to try DBT, go for it. I have heard from others that it's been very helpful. I do think you could try CBT and actually do more, because it's so much more than changing negative thoughts and deep breathing. I mean, it is a lot about recognizing your cognitive distortions, but it's not just about changing one thought as it happens.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous45390, Wild Coyote