Grand Poohbah

Member Since Jan 2018
3,229 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 15, 2018 at 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louemz View Post
Hey HD, I know it's been a while since you posted this, but as someone who has a bit of insight I just thought I'd get this down anyway.
Basically, you can view BPD and DPD as kind of polar opposites yet complimentary PDs. As someone who has dependent tendencies, I found myself in quite a few romantic and platonic relationships with people with BPD. The reason for this is that as a Dependant, my whole existence depends upon me being dependended upon of sorts. By getting into relationships with people who have BPD, I felt as though I was there to help them and I could break through the problems and they would value me and need me as a result. Of course, this never ended well as dysfunctional can't really fix dysfunctional.
So, in a nutshell, us dependents depend on others depending on us. If that makes any sense. Lol. It took me a while to get my head around this, and I'd always wonder why I fell into the same patterns with the same dysfunctional, needy people. Turns out I was just as needy in a submissive kind of way.
Hope this helps.
This breaks my heart! I'm probably on the BPD side who typically makes close friends with the more Dependant personalities as you've described. Thing is, maybe it can work?? If we both fear and both set boundaries of respect for each other's needs?? I'd like to have hope in that, because obviously I don't want to lose these good relationships...again.