View Single Post
graystreet
Veteran Member

Member Since Mar 2017
95 hugs
given
Default Apr 02, 2018 at 02:04 PM

Stress puts you into fight-or-flight mode which means your body is in a state of high alsrt. This raises your heart rate, your respiratory rate, and your blood sugar (so that your brain has the fuel to think better). This is great if, say, you were being chased by a bear or a robber. Or if you have a big test, or have been in a car accident. These are all times when that reaction is very necessary for your body to be able to react in the appropriate ways. When you’re in a constant state of stress, and you’re body is constantly in high alert, it’s can wear you out. There is also a stress hormone called cortisol which is released which can cause certain problems.

But I’m just speaking from a purely physiological standpoint re: what happens in the body. I’ve been chronically stressed for DECADES and physically, I’m pretty healthy (overweight, but my “numbers” are really good). It’s mentally where I suffer. The best things you can do in order to counteract the effects of stress on the body are things like mindfulness, exercise, eating healthfully, meditation, therapy, yoga, journaling...also getting together with friends, hanging out with a pet, being out in nature. You know, all the non-stressful stuff

I totally get where you’re coming from. Like, 100%. I’m very prone to anger, and letting that anger fester and eat me up, and for a good, long time. But all it does is hurt you. I know it’s hard, but if you can try and do an opposite action to the one you’re feeling, and make that a daily practice, it will become a habit. The anger can’t last forever. I’m sorry you’re feeling this way.
graystreet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote