amicus_curiae
Grand Member

Member Since Jan 2018
79 hugs
given
Default Apr 10, 2018 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Laurie* View Post
Maybe for some teens. When I was in high school way back in the late '70's I was definitely symptomatic of bipolar. Never talked with anyone about it; it was almost unheard of for a kid to be open about mental health issues back then. I was very into modern dance, danced for at least 2 hours every day except Sunday. The exercise did not do anything to help my symptoms. I think that if a kid is depressed and nothing else is helping, it's cruel not to at least try an antidepressant.
I was never able to ‘handle money.’ Stole from myself without thinking of consequences. Bounced checks at 13.

Here’s a not-so-secret secret: I got married whilst in high school. Almost immediately annulled so I don’t refer to her as ‘my first wife,’ although, well, she was. This was early 1970’s and I didn’t have a handle on my impulsive nature, my risky ventures.

Definitely symptomatic of bipolar, too.

Because I was ‘exceptional’ no one thought of mental problems. I was able to exhibit the behavior of a bipolar teen without consequences and no one considered the ‘bipolar teen’ behavior anything other than the work of a genius, a mind beyond comprehension.

The expectations were incomprehensible. Scary. Stomach-aching.

But I knew nothing about mental disorders — they were not on the radar, then.

Then off to college and my symptoms roared but my grades were good, always making Dean’s list, so symptomatic behavior was ignored.

But I began to suspect that I was exhibiting behaviors that were like those of a manic-depressive.

My answer was to flee the country.

I was so very ****ed up for so very many years.

Well, I remain ****ed up.

I played four sports in high school, became a long distance rambler in college. Exercise never exorcized my demons.

I should have been medicated in high school. And, while I understand the concern about over-medicating kids, depression can be so debilitating to a teenager.

Contrarian, esq.
Hypergraphia

Someone must be right; it may as well be me.

I used to be smart but now I’m just stupid.
—Donnie Smith—
amicus_curiae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
Wild Coyote