Member Since Mar 2009
884 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 13, 2018 at 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezbut View Post
Hello everyone,

I am on SSDI and am working at a local grocery store, around 15 hours per week. The good news: I just got a transfer within (promotion) and I start next week. I am very excited about it! My boss is now wanting to know what days & hours I'm available to work, and I'm trying to figure it all out.

I have had a traumatic brain injury after my brain surgery, which makes learning new things extremely difficult for me. So, I'm a little worried that I might not do very well trying to recall the terminology that I need to learn. (There are a few little complications actually, but that's not what this post is about.)

The thing is that I need to work at least 35 hours bi-weekly, in order to pay my bills. However, I am afraid that if I do work 35-40 hours bi-weekly, I will lose my SSDI. I cannot afford to lose it ~ AND I know that I can't handle working any more than P/T. When I have worked more hours, things haven't gone well at all for me. I got very sick emotionally and/or physically fast & was hospitalized.

So: How do I balance learning a new job, paying bills, being a mom, and staying healthy all at once?
my suggestion is contact your SSI case worker. they will let you know how to do this with out losing your SSI. They might even be able to refer you to a life skills program that can get you set up with someone that can go through each of your problem areas and help you to manage them. your case worker can look at your ssi case and show you how to break down your bi weekly work into how many hours a week you will be able to do. they can also make changes to your SSI as in which system you are on,.... regular, ticket to work program and so forth.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
shezbut