Ljj7000

Member Since Mar 2017
94 hugs
given
Default Apr 16, 2018 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostOnTheTrail View Post
Hi, all.

I've been dealing with symptoms of PTSD from emotional abuse for a couple of years now. I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed with social media, but I don't want to step away altogether, because that would isolate me further.

Would be really interested in reading about how others use social media and maintain their mental health in the midst of it. How do you keep it manageable, rather than allowing it to boil over? I've unfriended nearly 100 people on Facebook, and could keep going. Part of me would like a blank slate, but that's not really feasible. I'm also trimming my YouTube subscriptions to those I'm interested in, and intending to do the same with Twitter.

Thanks,

Lost
When it comes to social media, I try not to get caught up on checking on people who upset me or cause me to feel any negative emotion. One thing I notice about social media is that it can cause you to compare yourself to others (ex: body shape, promotion at work, quality of life, grades, etc.). I think social media is okay in moderation but too much of it can lead to your self-esteem being pulled down.

A lot of the times in which I felt bad had something to do with social media. So today, I'm trying to be careful with how I use social media.

If I see something from a person that I'm upset, I'll prevent myself from watching it. Sometimes, I'll end up giving into that urge.

But social media can definitely give you good social connections. As long as you are not overusing it, then you should be fine.
Ljj7000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
mote.of.soul