View Single Post
-jimi-
Jimi the rat

Member Since Dec 2008
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 21, 2018 at 10:39 AM

I feel like my meds are a part of me. As long as you are on meds that help and are right for you and side effects are not bothersome, I think you should be "happy". Quite a few people struggle for a long time to find the right meds. I wouldn't mess with what works, and I have nothing but gratitude when it comes to meds that actually help.

I am very aware of the dangers of medication but I made my deal. For as long my meds actually help me I am more than willing to risk certain things. For instance, I am a benzo user, and in my particular case I gladly sold a few IQ points to totally raise the quality of my life. I'm still smart, just maybe not over the top clever. Which is fine because with severe anxiety I could just use that smart sometimes anyway, most of the time not. With my SSRI it still helps after over a decade (keeping the dosage low helped that for me since my body chemistry is to have SSRIs poop out), and I have no doubts about keeping on it, because even if I have a deeply rooted aversion against how SSRIs work, I had to just accept that this is my life now. I don't feel torn even if I hold different opinions about that class of meds at the same time. I just made peace about being on the stuff, I have split opinions about many things and I just accept that it is fine not to think just one thing about something.

The concern I have is not with being on meds, it is more how some doctors are swayed into prescribing what I feel is the wrong stuff, like in my country psychiatry relies very deeply on a Thorazine like med that they seem to give to everyone, I feel that it is bad psychiatry.

I know people who I feel should be on meds, that are actually almost impossible to mix with unmedicated, or they suffered for such long time, still they are anti med. I feel that people who basically have no life and still want to do things off meds are stubborn and annoying. Like what they have to lose now?