View Single Post
Albatross2008
Grand Poohbah

Member Since Nov 2017
342 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 26, 2018 at 10:21 PM

It was part of a slew of various tests that were done. He was having trouble remembering little things. I'd give him information. He'd acknowledge it, and five minutes later, he'd ask me a question that makes it obvious he didn't get a word I said. When his aunt was diagnosed with dementia, *and* something bad happened at work due to a mental lapse on his part, he thought maybe he should get looked at too, so he had various tests done. He already knows he's diabetic, and the testing picked up sleep apnea. Both of these things can also affect cognitive function. It could very well be, that's all it is.

He does have PTSD from childhood abuse, but he absolutely, flatly, refuses to address it. He thinks he's fine and has no behavioral issues he needs to work on. So when he had the appointment today to discuss the psych testing, he actually had the psychologist call me at home while he was in the office to tell me the testing didn't show any cognitive or memory issues. That is, in effect, "See? I told you there's nothing wrong with me, and here's the psychologist's say-so to prove it."

My concerns are:

So if there is nothing wrong in his head, then those times I think he's just not listening, that means he really is just not listening?

By refusing to go to therapy, while I've been going all along, he is essentially saying, "I don't have any issues. You're the one with a problem in this marriage." So any time there is a conflict or I get emotional to any degree, he can (and does) throw that at me. He gets to join in that game of "identified patient" that has been played with me all my life.

I hope I can at least get him to stop asking if I need to "see a doctor" or "check in" (that's what he calls having a mental evaluation) every time I'm even the slightest bit upset. Now he has it on paper that I really do have a mental health diagnosis while he doesn't, so he can hold it against me any time he wants to. I guess that's what really bothers me about it.
Albatross2008 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous59898, Shazerac, sky457, Wild Coyote