Community Liaison

Member Since Apr 2013
4,168 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 27, 2018 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbie View Post
The testing did show he's very low on verbal communication skills. Words fail him often. He doesn't know the right way to communicate what he's thinking. But I think verbal communication includes listening and comprehending as well as speaking. Right?

He does agree to go to counseling *with me,* but not alone. It surprised him that I wanted to, because he was (and probably still is) under the impression that couples counseling is for people whose marriage is in trouble, and they're making a last-ditch desperate attempt to save it. The idea of going to counseling to solve little problems before they turn into big problems is foreign to him.
Marriage counseling does get a bad rap, as it does seem like what's heard about it is the perception of last ditch. I've heard that too. I'm just not personally familiar with it. I only know of couples that have done strengthening exercises that have utilized the Five Love Languages. And I have followed imago stories. Not that I've ever personally been able to use such things in my own life. Anyways...

Yes...about the verbal being a piece of expressive language and communication. One piece of advice that I would give is the power of touch. A gentle hand on the arm, hand, back with eye contact when it's something you need heard and recalled can go a long, long way.
healingme4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Albatross2008