View Single Post
The_little_didgee
Grand Magnate
The_little_didgee has no updates.

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default May 07, 2018 at 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow23 View Post
Re: 2 APs - I know that it's a lot more common in the US, and other places, than it is in the UK to prescribe 2 APs. Polypharmacy is kind of frowned upon here, even though there is sometimes a need for it (though I am still horrified by some of the polypharmacy that I see across PC that really feels way OTT to me). It causes a lot of issues with side effects and not knowing which drug is helping/causing a side effect. If it's done, you should only increase one at a time to try to figure out if it's helping/worsening side effects, but I frequently see people who've gone into hospital on, say, 5 drugs, which all get stopped cold turkey, and then they're released on 4 different drugs a few days later! Their neutrons must not know which way is up!!! How is the patient or outpatient pdoc supposed to know what is withdrawal effects from what drug, starting side effects from which new drug, and which ones might be helping, and what's the underlying illness situation!?? It's baffling!
I agree with this. Polypharmacy is the worst approach. Not only does it cause disabling side effects (that can be mistaken for psychotic symptoms), it can kill. I personally knew two people who died prematurely due to excessive weight gain from antipsychotics. One was 28 and the other was 40.

Medicating every symptom even day to day worries is excessive and doesn't promote recovery at all. Medication is only one part of recovery. Solely relying on it will promote dependence on the service and stagnation in emotional development. Ideally medication should help with symptoms so you can function in the world, not disable and isolate you (I sound like my psychiatrist).

P.S. I haven't been able to find the article. I'll keep trying.