Grand Magnate

Member Since Jul 2014
16 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 19, 2018 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpDownAround View Post
Actually, I left 443 as still available, so I used 641, which is close to what you computed. I think yesterday was largely a wash, but that Wednesday "caught up" with me. Wednesday I logged 45 minutes of paddling for 221 calories and then went 55 over, so really 276. I actually paddled 90 minutes and 65 of them were nearly non stop an high effort. I probably burned 600+ in actuality. So, what do I mean by "caught up"? I was expecting 160 or more this morning because I felt like I ate too much yesterday. I weigh 157.8, the lowest reading I have seen so far.

Your percentage idea is interesting. I enter my own base calories because the estimate is too high. I shave exercise calories because the estimate is too high. I am not just kidding myself; I have stayed around 160 several weeks so I am eating maintenance or nearly so until recently when I dropped my base by 100 and now may be seeing a slow creep down. Had I used mfp's setting of 1910 and accepted the full 1084 calories from Strava, that would be roughly 3000 calories and I think ~2100 would have been more accurate, which is 70% of what mfp calculates. That's a pretty big fudge factor (mmm - fudge!) but I think Strava was off way more than mfp. Maybe I should switch walks back to MMW. I like Strava more for paddling.
A percentage off from what is stated by MFP will only work if my watch is consistent. So if I walk an extra mile, it still will be strictly the same percentage off. If this turns out not to be the case where I have to vary the percentage I take off, then I will have to find some other way. My watch uses heart rate as part of the calculation for my calories burned, besides VOmax, which is how fit I am. Of course distance is an impAs I become healthier, the heart rate for the same exersize will go down. The indicator for my health will go up having a simular effect to the lower heart rate. I will have to adjust accordingly, or just do something different to keep my heart rate up there. That would help keepng the calculation the same for a much longer period of time since the watch is very stingy about how it evaluates my fitness.

PS I think you are essentially using two percentages depending on how strenuous the exersize is, like the difference between walking and paddling. You appear to be doing this effectively. Good job!

Last edited by Tucson; May 19, 2018 at 11:11 AM..