Elder

Member Since Nov 2016
15 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 06, 2018 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpDownAround View Post
I'm still back here. On day one, I am not sure I would have bet I would make it to a year even if you offered me 10:1 odds. At this point, I would give you 10:1 odds I will make it to a year and take your money. 2 years and 5 years and 10 are looking like achievable goals instead of pipe dreams. Approaching my 60th birthday has a big impact; I have started thinking about mortality more and looking at things that improve the odds of a long healthy life. Seniors drinking like I did have a greatly reduced chance of good health and/or a long life. Lots of occasional bingers become hard core alcoholics in retirement. Scary stuff.
I'm glad you were able to look at the consequences. In the moment, when we are upset, it's hard to think things through. It's hard to look at what will happen long term if we take one drink.

For me, that one drink turns into half a bottle and within 3 days, I am extremely suicidal and don't see the point of life at all. Alcohol is deadly to me, but not in the traditional sense. I am younger, 35 years old. Alcohol may not physically kill me like it would you, but it would kill me in a way. I would just die by my own hand rather than a medical consequence of the alcohol itself. That is my consequence. That is why I choose to not drink or drug.

Diagnoses:
PTSD with Dissociative Symptoms, Borderline Personality Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain
childofchaos831 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
bizi