View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Jun 10, 2018 at 06:55 PM

Well... I'm "retired", so to speak. Actually I stopped working in my early 50's due to a combination of medical, mental health & situational concerns. (It would be a very long story. So I'll spare you the details.) I also play on the computer most of the day (mostly here on PC.) But I also clean, cook, bake bread, do laundry, & take the dog out for his walks... sometimes with my wife... sometimes alone. I used to do quite a bit of yard work & home improvement sorts of stuff. But we moved to a townhome a few years ago. So I don't have any of that to do anymore.

I kind-of wish I had done what it sounds like you plan to do. I wish I had found a job that paid less but was something I could enjoy doing & where there wasn't a lot of pressure (assuming there is anything like that.) But I didn't... again for a number of reasons. I think the main thing is to have a plan & a solid foundation for implementing that plan when you're ready to retire from your present job. From my perspective, it's amazing how quickly a person can sink into the mud, so to speak, if you retire first with the idea that you'll figure out what to do later.

Our local TV news stations frequently do human interest pieces on older people, frequently men, who have some hobby or skill they pursue. I always admire them. There was one piece about an older man who's been building a wood sailboat for 30 years, I think it was! He said he doesn't even care if he lives to finish it & sail it. It's the joy of getting up every day & working on it that's important to him. I think that's the way to live...

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
ArchieAus, butterscotch444, IowaFarmGal, unaluna