Forums at Psych Central - View Single Post - A clusterf...
Thread: A clusterf...
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 11:53 PM

My Paper Heart has no updates.

1 yr Member
4 hugs
given
Default Re: A clusterf...

I've experienced this several times over with my PsychoSomatic Symptom Disorder. There's absolutely nothing more frustrating than a psychiatrist who doesn't believe you.

The most problematic time this happened was when I told the psychiatrist on two separate instances back-to-back that I was depressed and she brushed it off, claiming it was just a phase. A phase that lasted more than 2 months? Umm, no, it wasn't a phase and I landed in the hospital because of it (as a preventative).

Because of situations like this, I'm very strict with following a doctor's directions so they have less of a reason to doubt me. When they see this, they're almost always more apt to believe me. Then again, after dealing with this for more than a decade, I've learned to notice the trends in my body's reactions and I own up to the doctor about any possibility that the reaction is psychosomatic. Again, since I'm so open about the possibility of the symptoms being psychosomatic and I follow their rules to a T, they tend to believe me.

I also try not to jump from doctor to doctor without a good reason to and I always follow a 3-strikes-and-you're-out pattern. The doctors ask why I changed doctors and again, they tend to believe me more when I tell them of the past doctors' idiocy (even if they can't believe a doctor was that stupid, like the guy who thought all pills were white {in response to my concerns for a food coloring allergy}).

However, I do understand because I'm getting to my wits end with my current psychiatrist. This is the 3rd or 4th one in a row who has given up on me, saying the exact words "I don't know what to do with you" and sending me back to therapy. I can't even count the number of times I've said I'm only looking for meds to act as a bandaid at least until the effects of therapy make the meds unnecessary but I'm still being ignored. ... So yeah, it's frustrating.
My Paper Heart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: