View Single Post
Silent Blatherskite

Member Since Oct 2017
2 hugs
given
Default Jun 29, 2018 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkySmart View Post
Well, there's not much chance you'll burden anyone here. I'm happy to read your posts and enjoy your writing. Your recollection of the "behavioral center" is pretty creepy; I understand why you would want to avoid a repeat. If getting therapy is problematic right now, have you thought of seeing a pdoc and trying different meds since they're no longer working? There are so many choices nowadays that maybe one of them will re-boot you, give you some energy...ya know, perk you up?

Yeah, the behavioral center /hospital stay wasn't a pleasant experience for me, but I guess if people were really struggling, I'd let them know what they are getting into first, then recommend it. As I mentioned, the nursing staff was excellent, save for never giving me an answer on the cost of the stay. And they were also sympathetic with me, knowing that it was a glorified psych ward. According to them, it was definitely one of the better ones suited for it's purpose. And it wasn't like we were completely locked in there; they had shower rooms and breaks where you could go outside and community games. I was caught off guard by the fact that they don't want you to leave, and for obvious reasons.

At the end of the day, I consider that visit an over-correction, doing more harm then good. Which seems like the common when dealing with mental problems: either people do nothing and hope it blows over, or explode into action, doing way to much, forcing actions onto people, becoming overly frantic, and other extremes. The changes I would like to see would be levels of care, rather than extremes. Honestly, I feel that psychotherapy is usually on the low end, basic and good ideas on how to deal with problems. However, then there is a huge gap between them and a hospital stay with nothing solid in-between.

The idea of Retreats do come into mind, but then that idea is usually marred by extremist religious camps or "Conversion Therapy" camps... You don't even need to be 100% of any certain sexual orientation to look at those camps and say, WTF? (I'm from Indiana btw, and No I didn't vote for Pence.)

...Idk, now I feel myself shrinking back, because even though a few ideas come to mind, like going to the Y up north, or planning a vacation, I guess I don't want to say any plan as I ultimately might not stick to them. I've been all talk and no action for so long that I'm self depreciating. As my therapist would say, I'm using too many shoulds...
Silent Blatherskite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote