dsmith
dsmith has no updates.

8 yr Member
102 hugs
given
Default Jul 02, 2018 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat86 View Post
Has anyone found medications helpful with obsessiveness / having past events replay in your head over and over again. Many times its things that you are angry about but not all the time. Sometimes its just past social situations that will replay in my mind over and over again along with racing thoughts.

I have read people say depakote helped them with these issues.

Can anyone share what meds have helped them with these issues?
I don't think there is any medication that would treat this per se, but rather cognitive behavioral therapy. I pulled up a bunch of articles on this topic - available here.

This is something I struggle with daily. I am constantly seized with guilt, regret, and shame about all the relationships I've ruined, jobs I've lost, and other embarrassing events. My therapist has provided me with a few tools for managing the problem. Chief among these is an "I Know That…" journal.

Basically, whenever I get stressed out I write down 5 things that I know are true (e.g., "I cooked breakfast this morning" or "I paid the bills this afternoon"). It helps me stay grounded, and adopt a clearer picture of what is taking place in the present.

There's also a technique called "mindfulness," in which we strive to remain in the present. Easier said than done for most of us. I've tried meditation, but it just doesn't work for me.

Hang in there - these are struggles that many of us face, and need to keep our heads high and continue trying to surmount.

Medications:
Lamictal
Lyrica
ECT - once / month
dsmith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
still_crazy