View Single Post
pat86
pat86 has no updates.

5 yr Member
Default Jul 02, 2018 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Butterfly88 View Post
For obsessive thoughts an OCD med could help, such as Prozac or Luvox. Though given you are Bipolar maybe they could be stemming from mania and in that case a mood stabilizer may be better. You've got ADHD too, hmm. I don't have ADHD but they once tried Guanfacine for me because I couldn't focus due to intrusive thoughts. Guanfacine ended up making me hyper so I had to go off it but it likely wouldn't do that to someone with ADHD. Hard to say what the best thing to try first would be but I think you have options. Like TicTacGo said therapy may be helpful too. Also, you said past events. Are they traumatic events? If so you may want to try some PTSD treatment, whether it be therapy or meds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
I don't think there is any medication that would treat this per se, but rather cognitive behavioral therapy. I pulled up a bunch of articles on this topic - available here.

This is something I struggle with daily. I am constantly seized with guilt, regret, and shame about all the relationships I've ruined, jobs I've lost, and other embarrassing events. My therapist has provided me with a few tools for managing the problem. Chief among these is an "I Know That…" journal.

Basically, whenever I get stressed out I write down 5 things that I know are true (e.g., "I cooked breakfast this morning" or "I paid the bills this afternoon"). It helps me stay grounded, and adopt a clearer picture of what is taking place in the present.

There's also a technique called "mindfulness," in which we strive to remain in the present. Easier said than done for most of us. I've tried meditation, but it just doesn't work for me.

Hang in there - these are struggles that many of us face, and need to keep our heads high and continue trying to surmount.

I think its more of a chemical imbalance issue due to my bipolar and not really a cognitive behavioral issue.

plus I am not good with the whole journaling thing
pat86 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
88Butterfly88