View Single Post
BreakForTheLight
Grand Member

Member Since Jan 2015
211 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 07, 2018 at 05:12 AM

But doesn't driving actually lessen your exposure to people? You are in your own little world in a car. You run into far more people using public transport or even just walking. Unless you compare driving to not leaving the house at all. Are you agoraphobic?

None of the things you mention are specific AvPD fears. Social anxiety maybe for some, but it sounds more like general anxiety.

The most difficult part in driving with AvPD for me personally was taking driving lessons, and of course my driving test. Being in a car with another person who is closely observing what you do..... That made me feel pressured. And I admit, I hate driving through cities with lots of traffic, especially if I don't know the way. But so do tons of other people without AvPD.

In the 12 years I've had my license, I have never had a conflict with another driver. No one has bumped into me at a red light. You take lessons to know how to handle different situations. Of course I wouldn't enjoy getting yelled at by another driver, but the chance of that happening is so small. There's a bigger chance of getting yelled at by someone walking down the road than driving.
BreakForTheLight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote