View Single Post
SparkySmart

Member Since Oct 2017
166 hugs
given
Default Jul 08, 2018 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward2wards View Post
I want to repeat in a parrotlike way, "I am NOT anti-med, I am NOT anti-med..." BUT I am at this point anti-med for ME.
LOL I'm the same way...not for ME.

I've been reading a psychiatrists' forum with posts that go back for 10+ years. The posters often inherit patients who have been prescribed polypharmacy by their retiring physicians. Sometimes they list all the meds the patients are taking and ask for advice in reducing/discontinuing them. The issues of overmedication and misdiagnosis are hot topics, and the distinctions between bipolar and personality disorder (for instance) are vague and overlapping. They talk about how angry and defensive patients get when it's suggested that their diagnosis may be inaccurate/nonexistent or when med regimens are challenged. These doctors all acknowledge that serious MI exists but that it's WAY overdiagnosed.

The weird thing for me is that... gosh, I LOVED how I felt on polypharmacy. The drugs really worked! It was really awesome until one day when it wasn't awesome anymore. I can't describe it except to say that I had a terrible, terrifying realization that I wasn't me anymore; I was stuck in a chemical nightmare and couldn't wake up. It was an awful revelation. On that day, I started researching withdrawal protocols.

My doctor isn't infallible. I'm no longer a child, and he's not my father. Just because he prescribes a drug or announces that I have to take a drug for life doesn't mean I have to follow his recommendations, even though I know his intentions are honorable. When I've been IP, the pharmacist would always say, "Your doctor has added this new med, but you have the option of declining it if you like." I always refused. "I'm taking enough drugs, thank you."

Last edited by SparkySmart; Jul 08, 2018 at 12:13 PM..
SparkySmart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
cptsdwhoa, LifeGetsBetter