Veteran Member

cptsdwhoa One day, one step at a time

5 yr Member
441 hugs
given
Default Jul 09, 2018 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkySmart View Post
Hi, cptsd. The only thing I know of is melatonin...and perhaps lifestyle changes like going to bed later, turning off PCs and other electronic devices 1-2 hours before going to bed, etc. You already know this stuff, I'm guessing. I'm still on sleep meds and am not considering going off them right now, but I hope you're successful.

Anyway, I've never heard of a "medication therapy management session." I've never been given advice by a pharmacist -- but I never actually asked a pharmacist for advice, either....except perhaps which cough medicine he recommends. Just curious what this session entails.
Thank you for the well wishes!

Yes, I think I will definitely be using melatonin as a part of my arsenal. I also know about the lifestyle changes, but I can always use the reminder! I have terrible sleep hygiene.

I had never heard of MTM either until this past June! I read about it in Andrew Weil's Mind Over Meds. I highly recommend this book! Apparently, this is a service that pharmacists are trained to provide and in most cases it's free. My pharmacist (at Walgreen's who knew?) provides this for free. I just have to stop in when two pharmacists are available and they can speak with me about my questions and concerns about both prescription and OTC medications. This could be invaluable to me as I'm looking for supplements to help my body through withdrawal (as well as using nutrition), and I want to know how they could interact with my prescriptions.

The book recommends utilizing their services especially when you take multiple medications. Pharmacists are "...truly the drug experts, and yet they are an underused resource" according to the book. It also suggests using them as a part of your care team. Perhaps, MTM is something you could look into further.
cptsdwhoa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote