View Single Post
aimlesshiker

Member Since May 2018
58 hugs
given
Default Jul 11, 2018 at 02:11 PM

Could you try a new therapist? The first one I had was sort of "bland," didn't get to the heart of the issues I was facing.

The other two I've had really listen, explore options, and are able to see from your point of view. Do you feel like you can talk to your therapist as if he is a friend who's just there to listen?

You can try some cognitive behavioral therapy, too, especially since you said you find yourself in loops and can't change your thinking. Here's some worksheets you can fill out and work on. This should become a regular habit: ideally, once a day, but even once a week or whenever you have a "bad thought" you want to correct. That's what I'm trying to do: https://www.therapistaid.com/therapy...heets/cbt/none

You can also make this easier by making a table in a note on your smartphone, modelling it after this worksheet (this way you can fill it out wherever you go):

I think the hardest thing about therapy is taking what you've learned or realized from your session and translating it to the outside world. Once you step out of that office, it's up to you to implement whatever strategies or goals your therapist set up for you. It's hard, and it's why therapy hasn't "fixed" me yet, either, but you'll get there .

Also, get out of the mindset that "you're bad" or "something's wrong with you." You are a worthwhile human being. If you have self-esteem issues, positive affirmations or meditations might help. There's a TON on youtube, so find what works best for you.

Trust me, I've been trying to fix the same problem for well over a year now, and it sucks, but like I said, you're worth the effort. Make sure to take care of yourself!
aimlesshiker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote