Veteran Member

cptsdwhoa One day, one step at a time

5 yr Member
441 hugs
given
Default Jul 27, 2018 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
I dont think there actually is a name for this. many people who have no disorders go through situations where they are questioning who they are, what they like, what they dont like and so on....

but I can give you some normal names for this....

examples.....(please keep in mind I am not saying these are you, this is just a general list of things that I know are completely normal life situations where people question their self and their likes and dislikes)

puberty
growing pains,
school of hard knocks
7 year itch
mid life crisis
peri menopause
menopause
post menopause
someone who has had someone they know die or get into an accident can also cause a person to question their self, their life and what and who they are,
teens about to graduate high school go through this too.....

my own experiences on this Im a lesbian. I have met many lgbq's who have questioned who they are as a person and what kinds of things they like, my own children are constantly changing who and what they are based on their own preferences, taste buds, movie they saw. one told me a week ago he is an astronaut in disguise and this morning he says he is a fireman, to morrow he may decide he is just a kid who likes to play with a variety of toys. one says they are a computer programmer because they do their school work on the computer. one likes broccoli one cant stand hot dogs,....

my point there are many many completely normal reasons why a person would question who they are and what kinds of things they like to do, eat, and so on.

but if this continues to bother you maybe you can contact your treatment providers who can diagnose this directly in you as it relates to you.

Thanks so much for this! I'm glad that this can actually be quite normal. If I can remember that then maybe I can be a little gentler with myself. I think I'm mostly concerned about how identity factors into having an existential crisis (or a few honestly, if you'll see my reply to Christopher1990). It was like, one minute I was a little more sure of myself and the next poof gone.

Perhaps I was never really all that sure. Well, honestly, I KNOW that I was really never all that sure.
cptsdwhoa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
amandalouise