Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
884 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 17, 2018 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikobird View Post
I first entered the frightening world of DP at 14 and have had it 24/7 for thirty years. I also don't see why it's often titled depersonalization/derealisation when I can tell you from living with it, it's one thing. It's usually caused by constant or ongoing anxiety from some sort of stressor or by a trauma endured. I'm seeing a therapist now who deals with this using EMDR. I was interested in finding others who had this.
its just a formality thing. usually when a person has a dissociative disorder the two disorders sometimes goes together...

example a person who feels like they their self is numb and just watching what is going on can also feel like everyone and everything around them is not connected to them, feeling not real...

when I am having my depersonalization symptoms of feeling numb and a bit on the spaced out side of things it sometimes feels like that picture over there is not real, I know its real and I know its on my wall but it feels like the picture has no connection to me.

so instead of saying I have both depersonalization disorder and I have derealization disorder my treatment providers can write one number on the insurance forms (the number for depersonalization/ derealization disorder is 300.6) and the insurance will automatically cover treatment for both.

see what I mean its just a formality thing that allows a person to have 2 disorders but labeled only one disorder name that covers both.

america has many mental disorders that are now combined into one or more diagnosis names. makes it more individualized so that more people can get more treatment options and insurance will still pay for it.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
avlady, MickeyCheeky, Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky, Wild Coyote