View Single Post
ElectricManatee
Magnate

Member Since May 2017
4,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 24, 2018 at 10:41 AM

I think Anne2.0 has a great point about using therapy to check in about others' perceptions of us. But I think the key word is "check in." I don't think the client necessarily needs a lot of input about what the therapist feels (especially if there is a negative component to it) before the client has a solid grasp on what they're experiencing, why, and how they [the client] feels about it. I think that's true even if the client prematurely asks if something is okay with the therapist. I can think of times when I have been highly emotional about something that brings me shame and have asked my therapist if it's okay. She usually mirrors my feelings back to me and tells me that my feelings are okay. I don't think that would be the right time for her to say, "Well, I myself am feeling a little uncomfortable right now..." I think it would be better for her to keep her impressions to herself and maybe use them later to inform her response if a similar thing is coming up in a story I'm telling about an interaction with somebody else, or if I get to a point where her discomfort is relevant to pushing my therapy forward. (I admit that this is hypothetical because I don't know that my T has found any of my behaviors or thoughts creepy or uncomfortable. But then she generally has a pretty good understanding of why I do the things I do, even when I initially don't.)

Thanks for this!
Echos Myron redux, Lilana, lucozader, SlumberKitty